Friday, July 22, 2011

I can crochet!!!

Well, kinda... I've been wanting to learn how to crochet for years and years. Mum has tried teaching me several times but I was hopeless. The latest book club catalogue from Tassy's school had a learn-to-crochet book so I thought I would give it a shot.

It's wonderful!!! I have realised that I really need the pictures - I can't just watch someone. My memory is terrible so I keep having to refer to the pictures all the time. And it's much easier to actually see the yarn in a drawing than in real life when it sort of all blends in together.


It's a fantastic book!

I'm trying to master crochet flowers. Here's my first one.
Looking a bit more like an amoeba than a flower.



These are my next ones. Looking a little better.


Then I decided to get a bit adventurous and try different colours.


I do love the colours! I still need to master the flower itself - somehow I ended up with six petals on the last one! I'm still trying to get the hang of which hole to put the hook into, and I have to work on my tension, but I'm getting there! And I'm STOKED that I'm finally able to crochet SOMETHING! YAY!!!!

4 comments:

Sheree said...

Yay Yvette good on you!! Your flowers are looking fantastic!! You'll be whipping up all sorts of things in no time now!

Sheree xx

Charlotte said...

Hooray! I live the amoeba :) and that u ended up with 6 petals on the last flower but aren't sure how! Hehehe :) Its great to have a book with pics to follow! Yay for accomplishing a new skill that u've been wanting for ages!

Anonymous said...

You are AMAZING. I can't believe that you keep adding more & more to your skills. I am so proud of you. I remember learning to crochet with Nana Mayfield when I was 12, I made a crocheted collar, they were the rage then. Your flowers are wonderful and I LOVE the multicoloured one. Love aaj

Just like Martha said...

Ooooohhh I so need THAT book, can you email me the details, I have been trying for oh sooo long to teach myself to crochet. Your flowers Yvette look fantastic, yay you! Won't be long before you are in blanket mode!
mills4@aapt.net.au
Thanks, Lee
www.leemills.typapad.com