Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What I Wore Wednesday

I used to sew lots of clothes. I wish I had a photo of the first dress I made. It was pink and white checks or stripes, it had straps that had knots tied in the ends and they were fed thru buttonholes at the front (similar to this). I think I was maybe 11yo. I made lots of clothes as a teenager and in my early twenties, then I gave up on it. I had a terrible time making them to fit me well. But lately I've been loving dresses I see in shops and they are just WAY too short for me. So I decided I'd make some. I went to Spotlight and bought enough to make 6 dresses and a skirt for me (and a dress and skirt for Tassy too). I didn't PLAAAAAAAN on buying so much fabric.... what can I say!

Want to see my first dress?





It did take me all day to make it and I made heaps of adjustments to make it fit me. I wore it the other day and a stranger asked me where I got my dress. I said I'd made it and she said "Of course". She didn't actually SAY she liked it, but I took it as a compliment LOL.

It cost me less than $10!
Fabric: $6 ($3/m, reduced to clear)
Zip: $2
Pattern: well it cost $6 but I'm dividing by the number of dresses I plan on making, so that's $1.
Lining: I used some poplin I bought when Tassy was a baby!

Dress: Made by me
Belt: Cotton On
Shoes: Windsor Smith
Brooch: Gift from Charlotte (I need a close up photo!)
Necklace: Made by me
Watch: Swatch

I've made two more dresses and a skirt since I made this dress, so I'll share them in WIWW soon!

4 comments:

Car said...

Can I ask what pattern you used? Ive purchased 23 dresses recently and they are all well above the knee - for a short person its passable, for me with lanky legs - I feel a it nekid!!!

Car said...

And that would be 3 dresses!!! not 23, makes me sound like Imelda of the dresses!

Lea said...

Lovely as are you.

Charlotte said...

Beautiful! Love your accessorising too, the glittery shoes! And the brooch (love!)