Saturday, December 29, 2012

Handmade gifts

I made a couple of little gifts this year. I made this bauble for my parents using street directory maps of the suburbs they grew up in and the suburb they live in now. It made mum cry so I guess it was a hit! Then I made them for my sisters using their current suburbs, and my Auntie using the suburb she's lived in for the last 30 years. Oh, and I just made one for us today - better late than never!

This is mum and dad's.


I really wanted to make Tassy some Christmas jarmies. My original idea was to buy a nice Christmas Tshirt and make some matching jarmie shorts, but do you think I could find a NICE Christmas Tshirt? I loved one in the Kmart catalogue with a sweet deer on the front, but when I went to buy one I realised they only went up to kids size 6. Do'h! So in the end I appliquéd on a plain red Tshirt, using a design from the Mollie Makes Christmas book (a Christmas present from Lea).


I bought the gorgeous holly fabric in Spotlight before Christmas for the princely sum of $3/m! And I used some vintage trim given to me by a friend, so all up they probably cost less than $2. I had the Tshirt done before Christmas but only did the shorts last night. Again, better late than never!


And all my family got involved in a cookie swap. We have cookies coming out our ears!! We've already eaten lots but here's what we have left! Mine are the pistachio and cranberry wreaths in the first picture and Tassy's are the little reindeer near the bottom.




5 comments:

Zara said...

A lovely idea for using maps. The bauble will be a treasured ornament for years to come I'm sure.
All those cookies look delicious.
x

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Love the Christmas bauble idea - brilliant!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

Charlotte said...

I LOVE THE COOKIES ON THE VINTAGE PLATES!! Yes, I'm shouting! Cos they're just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had fun making mine in the end, once I used the icing bottle from the Reject Shop, it made icing them a real breeze! Highly recommend getting one.
I love my bauble! It's gorgeous :) Thank you so much!

sky-blu-pink said...

What great gifts! The bauble idea is just genius, and Tassy's pj s so much nicer than ones you can buy!

Lea said...

oh i love the map bauble. very spesh. and tassys pjs turned out so cute. better late than never i always say.