Thursday, August 09, 2012

Reading

Have you been sucked into reading The Hunger Games? I wasn't planning on reading them. It's not like I don't have a hundred books at home waiting to be read (seriously!). But I saw the trilogy in Costco for $25 and on the spur of the moment decided to get them.


So I started the first book and, oh boy, I was sucked in! It was such a page turner! I loved it. It's no literary masterpiece, but it's a great read. I totally recommend it. The weird thing was, I had just finished reading George Orwell's 1984 just before I started The Hunger Games. And I saw so many parallels it was bizarre! The Hunger Games also reminded me of a Stephen King short story (writing as Richard Bachman) I read as a teenager, called The Long Walk. I loved that book for it's shocking surprise, which was kind of similar to The Hunger Games. Turns out I'm not the only one who saw some similarities between the three books.

I think The Hunger Games books are aimed at the Twilight audience. I enjoyed them much more than the Twilight books tho.

I even went straight onto the second and then third book. I NEVER do that! I always break up a series with other books otherwise I find them too much. This wasn't like that. I loved the second book as much as the first. The third wasn't quite as good and I found the ending a bit anticlimactic. I'm interested to know, if they make all three movies, if they'll change the ending like they so often do.

Now I'm keen to see The Hunger Games movie!

The protagonist's name... what kind of a name is Katniss?

Here are a few other books I've read lately.

Seven Little Australians - Ethel Turner


Tassy and I read this together. I learned that four year olds drank coffee in the olden days. Shocked! And that kids caught the ferry from Parramatta into the city to go to school. And that some fathers don't like children, even their own. But they will quite happily marry someone a smidge older than their eldest child. It was a short book and not a bad read. I hired the series from our local library and oh my goodness, I was shocked and thrilled to find that the last episodes were filmed at our beloved Lanyon Homestead! Only a few kms away from our house!



Of Bees and Mist - Erick Setiawan


I bought this at an op shop, only because I liked the cover. I hated it! WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD! It reminded me of Wicked, which I hated even more. Don't judge a book by its cover!

Tess of the D'Urbevilles - Thomas Hardy



My book club read this. I was happy to read it cos I've had a copy since I was a teenager and don't think I've ever read it! I love old classics (and new classics!) Poor old Tess. She didn't have much luck in life but I had a soft spot for her. Again I watched an adaptation after I read the book. And I now have a copy of Krishna to watch - an Indian adaptation!

What are you reading right now? Do you like it?

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I just finished reading a book that I found in an op shop called "A Village Girl" by Sarah Shears. It's the memoirs of a Kentish Childhood. I was pulled in by the cover & found it to be a very good book.

Melanie B said...

I also just finished reading the hunger games series. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. All that hype & I didn't think they were very well written. I did enjoy the first two but was a bit over it by the third & flicked through it.
I watched the movie last night & it was ok??! I don't get nearly as much time to read as I would like but we went camping so took them with me. Maybe you have to be in a certain mood??! I like good novels & true stories but hasn't been heaps of those lately!! LOL.

thanks for sharing Yvette like reading your reviews.

Mel xx