Saturday, August 25, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cake

Who loves a good cinnamon sc/roll? That's a rhetorical question cos of course the answer is EVERYBODY! I found a recipe for Cinnamon Roll Cake on Pinterest and it sounded SUPER easy. So I tried it the other day. Oh boy. Sooooooo good. Especially when it's still warm from the oven. But good at room temperature too. I posted a pic on Instagram and lots of people asked for the recipe so I'm sharing it here for y'all!


Now I did make some change to the original recipe (which you can find here) and I've included my changes in the recipe I've written for you below. The original called for 250g butter in the topping (as well as 125g in the cake) and I thought that was way overboard, so I only used 125g. I still thought it was too much so next time I might go with 100g or less. But anyway, I've written 125g in the recipe below cos it worked. The recipe also said the topping butter should be softened but I melted mine cos I thought it would be easier. I wanted some cream cheese in my glaze so I made up my own which was super easy. Also I didn't have the right size tin, so I used a loaf tin and and square tin. Next time I might use a lasagne dish cos I'd prefer the cake to be flatter so you can get the height of it in your mouth in one bite. Anyways... here's the recipe.

Cinnamon Roll Cake


Cake:
3 cups plain flour
¼ tsp salt
1 cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1½ milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
125g butter, melted
optional walnuts

Topping:
125g butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp plain flour
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
2 Tbsp cream cheese
small amount of milk to make it an easily spreadable consistency

In a large mixing bowl whisk together all the cake ingredients except for the melted butter. Slowly stir in the melted butter (and nuts if you like) and pour into a greased 9x13in cake tin.

Mix together the topping ingredients. Poor evenly over cake and swirl in with a knife. Bake at about 180C for 30 mins (mine took more like 40 - so keep checking with the skewer test).

Mix together the glaze ingredients (warm the cream cheese if necessary) and when it's a spreadable consistency spread it over the cake. Cut into squares, close your eyes and enjoy.

Here it is ready to go into the oven. Lookin' pretty.

3 comments:

Zara said...

This sounds delicious.
I'll add cream cheese to the shopping list and then I'm ready to go.
x

sky-blu-pink said...

That looks and sounds so delicious! Must try it out soon!

Anonymous said...

Yummo! Can't wait to make it.
Moi x