Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Recent reads...

It's been a long time since I blogged about books. Do you like reading about books? Or does it bore you so you just click away? I LOVE books. As a teen I used to read every night before I went to sleep. When I moved out of home my reading really died off but in the last few years I've been getting back into it and I REALLY love books again. I make the time to read. Sometimes it's lying on my bed on a Sunday afternoon, Tassy and I both reading our books. Sometimes it's reading before bed (although that depends on husband...). Occasionally it's reading in bed on a lazy weekend morning.

I just finished reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. Dave wanted ideas for Christmas presents over a year ago and I'd seen a poster for this in our local shopping centre. I knew nothing about it, I just liked the picture on the poster. :) It took me over a year to get around to reading it, but I really loved it. It's set in 1992 about Edie who's visiting her parents when her mother receives a letter which was lost in the post for 50 years. The story skips back and forth a little between 1940ish and 1992 and is really intriguing. I won't spoil it by saying too much more but I recommend it.


I'd never read The Great Gatsby till recently. Nor had I seen any of its films, although I am keen to see the the 2000 version cos Toby Stephens {HEART} plays Gatsby. You may know him as the perfect Mr Rochester from Jane Eyre...


Oh Mr Rochester..... Now he's my kind of guy.

Anyway, I digress. I'm talking about Gatsby now. Well, I liked it, and it was a short novel so quick to get thru, but I'm not sure why it's the Great American Novel. I liked it tho, and it's worth a read. After I finished reading it I found out there's a new film coming out with Leonardo DiCaprio playing Gatsby, filmed in Sydney. Looking forward to that!


Do you know Aussie author and blogger Kelly Doust? Otherwise known as The Craft Minx? She wrote A Life In Frocks a few years ago. It's a bit of a fashion memoir, the perfect kind of book to read chapters occasionally between other books. Well I read the first half that way and the last half all at once. It was an entertaining book about fashion and anyone interested in fashion from the eighties onwards would enjoy the read. It's also about her personal life too.


And if you're after a kids book, I read Inkspell to Tassy (9) recently. It's the sequel to Inkheart and we LOVE this series. There's an Inkheart movie which we love and have watched over and over, but the books are better of course. It's a wonderful fantasy trilogy, about a select few who can read characters out of and into books...


I always LOVE to hear book recommendations so please let me know if you have any favourites!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading but am not that regular I have periods where I dont read at all then times when I just cant put them down.
I found My Sisters Keeper recently on one of my thrift store sprees and have just started reading it.

nicole said...

great minds thinking alike :D
i only just read your post this morning ha ha! i love the look of the 'life of frocks' book :D looks right up my alley!
oh and i need to read gatsby too, and about 12834019283 other classics.
the book that i was reading is called 'summer at mount hope' by rosalie ham. wasn't bad, 'the dressmaker' is written by her too and i LOVED that one :D

teehee, still can't believe we wrote a similar blog post without realising :D

hope you have a great day!
xo

Vanessa said...

I love books too. I recently read Catcher in the Rye and I, like you, have no idea why this is considered an American classic.

I have all Kelly Dousts craft books but not the recent one on turning clothes into vintage pieces or the one you mention.

Please keep the book reviews coming.

vanessa

Charlotte said...

Mmmm... Mr Rochester.... I {heart} him also, after you pointed him out to me!
May I borrow the first book? I will have to get through 4 books I already have first, so clearly no rush!

WV: duebu
I did my duebu when I was in year 11, all the girls were doing it and Mum made me do it too. (long story)