I found some barkcloth in an op shop recently and ummed and ahhed for a little while before finally deciding to buy it. After all, they had 50% off everything in the store and there were 5.3m for, in the end, $5!
I wasn't sure what I'd do with it but in the end decided to make old
faithful - another dress. :) I'm so glad I did. I just love it, so
much more than I expected! I wasn't too thrilled on all the brown, so I
chose to have a yellow trim to bring out the yellow flowers. I think
it makes the dress so happy.
I changed the pattern a little - I made the neckline higher, the shoulders wider, the skirt has more volume and I gave it unpressed box pleats instead of gathers. The box pleats took a bit of fiddling but I love them. The sash with a bow is something new too.
The fabric was so nice to sew with, and is so nice to wear. Barkcloth is quite thick and textured. I had to trim a few bulky seems - in some places six layers thick, which is a bit much when the fabric is so thick! It feels so nice to wear though.
I was careful with the placement of the pattern pieces so the bodice pieces would have the same print on both sides, front and back. I was glad I had so much fabric to play with!
The dress cost me about $8. Less than $3 worth of barkcloth, $3 for the yellow fabric and $2 for the zipper.
Dress - Made by me
Shoes - Pierre Fontaine (these poor shoes have no soles and are too far gone to be repaired... and yet I continue to wear them... I haven't found a replacement pair yet!)
Necklace - gift from Mum, from the Stitches and Craft Fair I think